- Open Spybot by right clicking on the Spybot icon and click Run as Administrator.
- Click on Show details in the bottom right corner of the Start Center.
- Open Settings (Tick the checkbox next to Advanced User Mode if you do not see Settings)
- In Settings, go to the System Services tab.
- Here, click Stop beside the Security Center Service.
After disabling the service and rebooting your PC, Windows Defender should function correctly again when it is run.
However, the antivirus programs could now conflict and cause issues.
To avoid this with Spybot, please also disable Live Protection/Real-Time Protection in either Spybot or Windows Defender.
You can find instructions for disabling Spybot’s Live Protection here.