1. Please try to rename the SpybotSD.exe into iexplore.exe or firefox.exe and try to run it.
Using Windows Explorer navigate to:
C:\Program Files\Spybot – Search & Destroy
In the Tools menu select Folder Options
In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
Uncheck the following option:
Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
Click the Apply button.
Click the OK button.
The SpybotSD.exe should be visible now.
Rightclick the file and choose rename.
Give it a different name like iexplore.exe or firefox.exe and try again to run it.
2. If this does not help you might be infected with a Rootkit. We need some logs now to locate the infection that is mostly hidden deep in your system. Please download our free RunAlyzer from our website.
Now, run the RunAlyzer and choose “Logs” from the menu bar above. Now create a “SBSD log” and a “hjt log” and choose “Save”. You can save the files to your desktop. Please attach these files to your e-mail.
3. Please download our RootAlyzer. Here is the direct download link: http://www.spybotupdates.biz/files/rootalyz-0.3.4.47.zip
Please set your computer to show all files.
Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Clear “Hide file extensions for known file types.”
Under the “Hidden files” folder, select “Show hidden files and folders.”
Clear “Hide protected operating system files.”
Click Apply, and then click OK.
Please select the tab ‘deep scan’ and let it fully scan your Pc. The scan will take a moment, please be patient. After the scan is done please click on ‘pack suspicious files’ which is located right at the bottom. This will create a .cab file on your desktop which contains the log and the suspicious files the scan has found. Please attach this .cab file to your next mail.
4. Please also download GMER: www.gmer.net and let it do a full scan on your pc. Subsequent you will be allowed to save the log created during the scan. Please also send us this log.
5. Please also try this tool: RootRepeal
Here is also the direct download link: http://ad13.geekstogo.com/RootRepeal.zip
Unzip the file to the folder
Select “Report” tab
Click “Scan” button
Select following scan options: Drivers, Files, Processes, Stealth Objects, Hidden Services
Click “OK” button
Select your hard drive with the installed operating System and click “OK” button
Save Report via Clipboard or click “Save Report Button” to save a text file
Please send the report files to our detections department. You will find the address on our website.
FAQ Category: 1.6 only, Known Issues